|Aart van Beek||Het orgel in de St.-Margaretakerk te Boksum
Het ORGEL 110 (2014), nr. 4, 4-11 [summary]
On Friday, 8 February, 2013, the organ of the St.-Margaretakerk in Boksum (provincie Friesland) was re-inaugurated. This was the conclusion of an extended restoration project on one of the oldest organs in Friesland. The restoration was carried out by the firm of Pels & Van Leeuwen, from ’s-Hertogenbosch. The consultant was Aart van Beek.
The oldest parts of the organ, importantly the case of the Hoofdwerk, date from 1675, when Harmen Jans built a new instrument with one manual, no pedals. In 1728, Jan Franssen of Berlikum added a Rugwerk. There were extensive alterations in 1768, and in 1799 Lambertus van Dam renewed the organ drastically. In 1810 Wytse Douwes added the characteristic wooden draperies, and another three years later Jan Reinders Radersma added pull-down pedals. Later in the 19th century Hardorff, who maintained the instrument until 1891, carried out various alterations. In the beginning of the 20th century the instrument was “restored” by Bakker & Timmenga: in fact a completely new instrument in the existing cases, using part of the existing pipework.
In 2005 Jan Jongepier made up a restoration report, and it was decided to conserve the present state of the instrument. In January of 2011 the work was begun. The restoration of the painting of the cases, balustrade, and draperies, in which preservation of the present state was also the goal, was carried out by Karin Veldman & Jantina Veltman, restoration painters in Oudemolen (Drenthe). The work was completed in December 2012/ January 2013.
Fotos Jan Smelik