|Peter van Dijk||The organ of the Dom in Innsbruck (A)
Het ORGEL 97 (2001), nr. 5, 20-23 [summary]
On 1 July 2000, the organ of the St.-Jacobsdom in Innsbruck (Austria) was inaugurated. The instrument is a reconstruction by organ builder Pirchner. Organist Reinhard Jaud was consultant. Both historical and contemporary styles were taken into account.
The organ was originally built by Johann Caspar Hummel in 1725. It had probably 27 stops on two manuals and pedal at that time. Josef Sies enlarged the instrument to 31 stops in 1875. Franz Reinisch II worked on the organ in 1892. He replaced the chests with cone chests, installed a Barker machine and made a new console with some contemporary registration aids. The organ now had 33 stops. In 1931, organ builder Rieger built an entirely new organ with 75 stops in the old case.
The new organ is inspired by the former Hummel organ. The cases were preserved. Whereas Hummel had left the Back Positive empty, this has now its own stops. The Rieger organ has been installed in Breitenfeld near Vienna.